The Campus-FLE network of ADCUEFE, the association of the directors of university centers of French studies for foreign students, is a professional group of 38 French university centers for French as a foreign language.
Each year the network’s centers welcome more than 40,000 students from five continents into short and long language programs designed to meet students’ academic, professional, or personal goals. Located in every region of France, the network offers language learners a choice of geographic, socioeconomic, and cultural settings that is diverse enough to accommodate virtually any personal or professional plan.
Major fields of study
The language centers of the Campus-FLE network offer courses at all levels in language, literature, civilization, and French for special purposes (business, diplomacy, academics, and the sciences), as provided in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
In accord with the CEFR, the programs of the ADCUEFE network favor an approach based on action, communication, and interculturality. In the area of French as a foreign language, ADCUEFE centers aim to instill key competencies for education and lifelong learning. Certificates and degrees attest to students’ acquisition of those competencies.
The CEFR and the global language-proficiency scale divide competency into three general levels divided into six sublevels. Accordingly, ADCUEFE offers 6 credentials:
• Certificates that attest to the achievement of levels A1 and A2 of the CEFR (basic speaker)
• Diplomas that attest to the achievement of levels B and C of the CEFR (independent and proficient speakers)
• DUEF A1 (Diplôme Universitaire d’Etudes Françaises) attesting to level A1 of the CEFR (beginner)
• DUEF A2 attesting to level A2 of the CEFR (elementary)
• DUEF B1 attesting to level B1 of the CEFR (threshold)
• DUEF B2 attesting to level B2 of the CEFR (required for admission to French universities)
• DUEF C1 attesting to level C1 of the CEFR (proficient)
• DUEF C2 attesting to level C2 of the CEFR (mastery)
Because of their alignment with the CEFR, ADCUEFE credentials correspond very closely to the degree of proficiency spelled out for each level of the common European framework.